< back to syllabus
Advanced Topics: Back End Web Development with Node.js
For our Advanced Topics session, we'll be learning about Back End Web Development using Node.js!
- Node.js - Hello World (recommended)
- How to install
express in a Node.js Project: Navigate to your project folder, and run
npm install express. (You'll need to have Node.js installed, which you should already have.)
- Your First Express App (recommended)
- Holy crap, they sure take their time getting to this point. Make sure that you've run
npm install express in your project directory, otherwise
require("express") won't work.
- HTTP Request Format and HTTP Response Format (optional)
- Don't worry about using
telnet for anything and don't worry about much of the headers and data formats in the requests - the important takeaway here is that
GET HTTP requests are used to read data, and
POST HTTP requests are used to update data.
- Using Anchors for GET Requests (optional)
- Turns out that we've been using HTTP requests all along, whenever we use an
window on the browser, and
fs (filesystem) in Node.js.